Crisis in Japan

As I'm sure you all know, Japan's been hit hard by powerful earthquakes and tsunamis. A lot of natural disasters have been happening lately. What has happened in Japan has been devastating, with thousands dead, missing and suffering.

I've seen a lot of very meaningful and sincere concerns expressed, but at the same time I'm sad to see some very negative and insensitive comments. It's really disappointing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but at times like this I do wish that we can find more sensitivity and priority. It doesn't matter whether 'pray' is just a way to make us feel better without doing anything, or if Japan is receiving more attention than New Zealand and other countries who have suffered/may experience natural disasters, or if Japan is much-loved for its anime and manga culture. All disasters are terrible; the victims or scale of the disaster shouldn't affect our ability to empathise and help in whatever way we can.


Whether it is a thought, a donation or volunteer work, I believe it all counts. Believe me, it is certainly better than trending 'Pearl Harbor' on Twitter. I know that if I were to ever experience such a devastating tragedy, I would want to believe that there are people thinking of me. Of course, donations are more practical and I believe that, regardless of the affected country, we should try to help out in some way, big or small.

There are a lot of appeals circulating around. You can donate directly to the Japanese Red Cross, your national Red Cross, any legitimate organisation or appeal. Nothing is 'too little'. $1 from each individual in a developed country will amount to a lot at the end of the day. If you've already contributed, good on you! We shouldn't be divided over prejudice or obligation :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Think about those who are suffering, help out when you can, and remember that we all share this Earth.

P.S. I've been out of action for a while and since this is a writing blog, I should explain myself, huh? XD I came to a realisation a couple of days ago that I probably won't have time to writing anything substantial for most of this year (yes, it actually took me that long to have that epiphany). I'm in my last year of high school and it's getting really intense. I have a longlonglong break after it's over though, so I will kick back into gear then. I'm sorry I've been so inactive for practically a whole year. I'll do my best to make it up to you guys if you're still sticking around!

If you ever have questions, want to give me a poke, or describe the weather at length, feel free to PM me at FF.net. I love getting emails from FF.net. Really takes me back to when I first started posting fanfiction and would wake each morning looking forward to checking my mail XD

 

0 Responses to Crisis in Japan